I’ll just confess right now: we like TV a whole lot in our family.
Jon and I love to binge-watch shows together (right now we’re on Season 2 of The West Wing – I’ve never seen it before and it’s sooooo good!), I let the kids watch a show during lunchtime each day, and I’ve even got a separate Netflix account that just holds a list of kid-appropriate movies for family night!
That’s one thing I’m a stickler about, though – how appropriate is a show for our kids? We don’t really let them watch shows that are just for fun, unless it’s Friday and we’re doing our pizza & popcorn Family Movie Night thing. We stick to shows that are 100% clean, educational, and developmentally appropriate.
Here are our favorites! (Or just skim to the end where I have a CRAZY EXCITING announcement for you!)
8 Netflix shows you can feel good about letting your kids watch!
1. Super Why (Phonics/Pre-reading) :: I’m convinced that Super Why is half of the reason Emmy can read as well as she does. The kids LOVE all the characters, and I love how much they learn! Win win.
2. Leap Frog (Phonics/Pre-reading/Math) :: Leap Frog is the other half of the reason why Emmy can read. I love LeapFrog because right now Netflix has a huge library of their videos, and they cover a wide variety of topics – letters, numbers, shapes, blends, addition, etc. They’ve got a show for everything!
3. Magic School Bus (Science) :: Magic School Bus is still around, and still amazing. We love this show for all things science. I try to pick something they are interested in – like right now Emmy wants to know everything about how the body works, and Nathan is obsessed with bugs. They’ve got an episode for each of those!
4. Reading Rainbow (Reading/Literature) :: Speaking of still around, hello Reading Rainbow!! I watched this show religiously growing up. “Butterfly in the skyyyyyyyyy…” If you can sing that with me, maybe you watched it too! This show is timeless, and the books featured are classics. We all love this show!
5. Daniel Tiger (General Skills) :: Daniel Tiger is the only show that will captivate Nathan so much that he’s quiet for longer than 5 seconds. This show is the modern spin on our generation’s Mister Roger’s Neighborhood, and it’s pretty great. There’s a song for everything – brushing your teeth, apologizing, trying new food, etc. And you can bet we use those songs. The other day, Emmy wouldn’t give Nathan back a toy he wanted to play with, so he yell-sang at her, “SISSY! YOU CAN TAKE A TURN AND THEN I GET IT BACK!!”, which is Daniel’s sharing song. This show is useful, my friends.
6. Wild Kratts (Science/Outdoors) :: Wild Kratts is a favorite because it’s so adventurous! The kids love all the animals, and I love that they learn so many cool facts. Jon can sometimes be caught “not watching” this show after the kids have left the room. Ahem.
7. Cat in the Hat (General Knowledge) :: Since the kids are super into Dr. Seuss books right now, they naturally also love Cat in the Hat. The wide range of topics covered on this show is crazy, but it’s also crazy how Emily can tell me exactly what the heart does, why it pumps the blood, and where the blood goes. All from a song sung by none other than the Cat in the Hat.
8. Veggie Tales (Faith/Character) :: Veggie Tales is my personal favorite. I love that the kids are getting a faith-based message, and even Bible stories. We love Veggie Tales!!!
What are your favorite kid shows on Netflix??
PIN THIS POST!
The links above may be affiliate links, which means that, at no extra cost to you, I earn a commission on your purchase through these links. Thank you so much for your support of this site! I appreciate you!
Start making time for what matters!
Join our community and you'll learn simple, effective ways to manage your time, home, and family, so that you can stop living overwhelmed and start making time for what matters most. Get started today with our FREE guide to creating a routine that works!